[URBANTH-L] Re: Teaching Possibilities, Eugene Lang College, The New School

Rachel Heiman HeimanR at newschool.edu
Mon Feb 25 20:17:42 EST 2008

>>> "Joseph Heathcott" <jheathcott at gmail.com> 2/18/2008 6:46 PM >>>
Dear Colleagues,

We are trying to overhaul our offerings in urban studies at Eugene Lang
College, The New School.  To this end, we want to develop several areas with
new coursework, and I am casting a net among colleagues to see if anyone
knows good people to whom we could offer adjunct positions to staff these
courses.  Instructors must have a terminal degree (MFA, PhD, etc) or be near
to receiving such degree, and also must have some teaching experience.  My
preference is to find people who consider themselves urbanists and who work
in areas such as art and architectural history, material culture studies,
visual and critical studies, etc.

Examples of the kinds of courses we hope to offer include (but are by no
means limited to):

1. Dwell: The Culture and Design of Urban and Suburban Housing since 1900
2. Subway: Moving the City's Millions (exploration of the history, design,
articulations, uses of the NYC subways)
3. The Material City (material culture of cities such as urban furniture,
hardscape, architecture, streetscape, etc)
4. The Civic Landscape (design and use of libraries, hospitals, parks, post
offices, monuments, etc)
5. Industrial New York (exploration of industrial and postindustrial
landscapes, factories, docks, warehouses, canals, dumps)
6. The Visual Culture of the City (urban imagery in film, tv, advertising,
maps, tourism; images circulating within urban spaces)

Any names that you might suggest would be welcome.  Or, please feel free to
have interested individuals get in touch with me directly.

Thanks for your time, and have a great week.

Joseph Heathcott

--
 Joseph            The New School