[URBANTH-L] CFP: Andean Worlds and American Imaginations/American Anthro. Assn Meetings

Jason Pribilsky pribiljc at whitman.edu
Mon Mar 10 13:46:51 EDT 2008

Call for Papers American Anthropological Association Meetings
November 19-23, 2008
San Francisco, California

"Andean Worlds and American Imaginations"
co-organized by Jason Pribilsky (Whitman College) and Mary Weismantel
(Northwestern University)

We are seeking a few papers to round out an emerging panel
addressing, quite broadly, a host of post-World War II American
scientific, development, and medical activities in the Andes region.

The post WWII period has proven to be a time of immense cultural interest
in the Andes for American researchers, industrialists, and development
practitioners. A number of factors drove this interest,
including Andean collaboration with the Allied war effort, international
development, industrialization, Kennedy's Alliance for Progress, and
the growth of Andean universities and research institutes.
Concurrently, this era saw
the once-artistic and literary focus of indigenista movements give
way to the liberal promises of social science research.

We seek engaging papers that look at this period with fresh
perspectives shaped by, though exclusively, by research interests in
science studies,cultural studies, and the new Cold War studies tapping
once classified
archival materials.

We should stress that this panel is still emerging and the addition of new
papers will be critical to shaping the overall theme. Already committed
papers will address Alfred Kinsey and Moche (Northern Peru) erotic art,
imagining science in the Cornell-Peru Project, and medical and social
scientist interest in Kallawaya (Highland Bolivia) medical expertise in
the the early twentieth century.

If interested, please contract Jason Pribilsky (pribiljc at whitman.edu)
with a 250-word abstract or inquiry.

--