[URBANTH-L]Call for Papers for AAA

gmcdonog at brynmawr.edu gmcdonog at brynmawr.edu
Sun Mar 16 22:56:22 EDT 2008

We are looking to bring together scholars of performance and mass media
through a panel on the spatiality of these phenomena in global cities.
Studies of media and performance (drawing on disciplines that include
anthropology, performance studies, communication, film and media studies)
have the potential to demarcate different realms of urban experience,
representation and meaning, just as mass media and performance themselves
demand, create and change urban spatiality.  These fields and areas of
inquiry also help us to explore the varied meanings and implications of
public and audience.  By looking at the spaces of media and the spaces of
performance in cities within and across disciplines, cities and case
studies, these papers seek to understand new intersections and
illuminations of urban life and culture. Current topics that we are
exploring are film festivals as both media and performance sites,
dimensions of urban humor, and homeless theater as a lens into the urban
condition.  We are open to any themes or geographic areas that might
contribute to discussion and new perspectives. If interested, please
contact Gary McDonogh (gmcdonog at brynmawr.edu) and Marina Peterson
(petersom at ohio.edu) AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AND CERTAINLY BY MARCH 24, WITH A
TENTATIVE TITLE AND TOPIC.