[URBANTH-L] ANN: Film Premiere: "NYC Encuentro for Dignity and Against Gentrification"

Angela Jancius jancius at ohio.edu
Mon Mar 17 10:48:09 EDT 2008

From: movementforjusticeinelbarrio at yahoo.com

Wednesday, March 26th, 7:00 PM

  Judson Memorial Church

Movement for Justice in El Barrio

Presents

NYC Film Premiere

"NYC Encuentro for Dignity and Against
Gentrification"

Featuring:
CAAAV
FIERCE
Make the Road NY
Movement for Justice in El Barrio
UNYTE
West Side SRO Law Project

With special guest Zapatista historian

Gloria Muñoz Ramirez

In October of 2007, people from 26 social justice
groups from around the region gathered in our East Harlem
  community for the first-ever historic "NYC Encuentro for Dignity and
Against Gentrification." We invited groups from around
the city who are fighting against gentrification from
the ground up to come share who they are, what
problems they face, who or what is their enemy and
what are their dreams. This film tells the story of
what was said.

Our special guest, Gloria Muños Ramirez, lived with
the Zapatistas for 7 years and wrote a book to share
their story that is now available for the first time
in English. She will speak about the Zapatista
resistance and history. Movement for Justice in El
Barrio will share some of the ways in which they
are inspired by this resistance and organize to achieve
autonomy and self-determination by implementing
urban Zapatismo here in NYC.

Wednesday, March 26th, 7:00 PM
Judson Memorial Church
55 Washington Square South
[at Thompson St. (equivalent to West 4th & Thompson)]
TRAINS: A, B, C, D, E, F or V to West 4th St.
R or W to 8th St-NYU or #6 to Astor Place

For more information contact Movement for Justice in El Barrio at
(212)561-0555 or movementforjusticeinelbarrio at yahoo.com