[URBANTH-L]AAA 2008 CFP: "Transnational Intimacies"

Teresa E. P. Delfin delfint at rhodes.edu
Mon Mar 24 23:18:17 EDT 2008

I am organizing a panel on "Transnational Intimacies" for the 2008
AAA meeting. AAA's submission and registration deadline is April 1.
If you are interested in participating in this panel, please email me
a title, abstract, and your academic affiliations by Monday, March
31st. Your AAA registration must also be up to date by the April 1
deadline. Please forward widely.

Transnational Intimacies

Globalization is dissolving historical boundaries. Free-trade
agreements remove borders for jobs, investment, and goods, while ever-
improving communications technologies enable the creation and
maintenance of intimacy on a global scale. Yet this liquidity of
information, commerce, and even cultural capital has not translated
into personal mobility. On the contrary, the dissipation of  our
virtual borders has been accompanied by an increasing rigidity of
political boundaries. This panel seeks to explore this tension by
focusing on the intimate, embodied, and romantic liaisons that take
place within the intersections of expansive global cultures and rigid
national security. We are interested in papers that consider
intimacy, sexuality, romance, courtship, and kinship against the
backdrop of global culture, transnational mobility, and state security.

Teresa E. P. Delfin, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Anthropology
Rhodes College
Clough 105