[URBANTH-L]AAA vote on bylaws changes

David Haines dhaines1 at gmu.edu
Tue Nov 11 07:00:32 EST 2008

To SUNTA members:

You will now have received an email asking for your
vote on a series of changes to the AAA bylaws.

By virtue of being SUNTA president, I have been on
the Section Assembly for the past two years, in which
these changes have been discussed and modified
more times than you may wish to know.

So a few thoughts:

If you read these changes and are inclined to support
them, I think you can do so in good conscience.
As these changes expand the role of the Section
Assembly, they represent great hope for better AAA
governance and, perhaps above all, for greater
transparency. The SUNTA Board unanimously
approved this package of changes.

If you read these changes and have reservations about
some of the specific details, I think you are reasonable to
do so. However, I would note to you that, after having
objected to several of the details myself, I did vote for
these changes at the Section Assembly level, and will
vote for them again now. They represent, if not perfection,
then certainly fundamental improvement. And since the
Section Assembly has already once brought this process
to a halt to rethink options, I do not think it is feasible to
do so again. So it is, indeed, time to vote.

I hope that is useful background for you. Please do vote.

With best regards,

-- David Haines (SUNTA president)

P.S. Do not forget our business meeting in San Francisco
on Friday night at 6:15 p.m. in the Lombard room. We
can discuss this then if you wish--or with more animation
at the reception following our meeting. The actual voting
deadline is December 15.