[URBANTH-L]a question concerning methods/ethics

Rowan EditClass bozorth25 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 27 12:17:07 EDT 2009

I apologize for jumping into this conversation so late -- just getting into this inbox in a while -- but it's interesting to read about this, because journalists struggle with the same issues in granting anonymity to sources. Sometimes it is the only way (think, Watergate), but we're taught to use it judiciously, and, optimally, explain why the anonymity is being granted. Ideally, we want the sources to go on the record, because it makes the reporting stronger to have names and IDs behind the sources.

Deb

==
Deborah Woodell
Senior Adjunct Professor, journalism