[URBANTH-L] APPLIED Anthropology Job: Director, US Government Relations, Health GAP (Global Access Project)

Angela Jancius jancius3022 at comcast.net
Wed Feb 4 10:04:59 EST 2009

From: Jennifer Flynn <flynn at nycahn.org>

Salary information included

http://www.healthgap.org/usgovtrelationsjob.htm

Director, US Government Relations, Health GAP (Global Access Project)

Health GAP, a leading international advocacy organization comprised of
AIDS, trade and human rights activists, is seeking a Director of US
Government Relations. For more information about Health GAP and our
current campaigns, please refer to www.healthgap.org

The primary focus of this job is on devising and winning new or reformed
U.S. Government policies, including outreach and relations with relevant
policy makers in all branches of government; formulating innovative
policy solutions; convening, strengthening and coordinating diverse
networks of allies at the national and grassroots levels in support of
Health GAP campaign priorities and developing and coordinating overall
and day-to-day campaign strategies relating to U.S. policies.

Health GAP is deeply committed to fostering an affirming and inclusive,
multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment for its staff, and core
members. Applicants are requested to include a description of how they
will assist Health GAP in creating this environment and to write about
their commitment to global justice in cover letters. People of color,
people living with HIV/AIDS and immigrants from the global South are
strongly encouraged to apply for this position.

A proven track record including a lead role in successful legislative or
policy campaigns, preferably at the federal level, is a must, and a
commitment to global social justice is a paramount requirement for the
position. We deeply value lived, personal experiences that will
contribute to our organization's culture and enhance our ability to win
campaigns for people with HIV/AIDS worldwide.

The ideal candidate should have existing relationships with key civil
society stakeholders in the global AIDS movement and with policy makers
in the legislative and executive branches of the U.S. government.
Preferred candidates have five-plus years of experience in organizing,
advocacy, government relations, public health, policy or other relevant
areas. Candidates should be knowledgeable about the issues addressed in
Health GAP's campaign work. Instigating and maintaining frequent,
regular communication with federal policy makers is expected. Experience
pitching stories to journalists is a plus. Comfort with direct action
tactics and organizations is a bonus.

Duties include:
. Direct advocacy with U.S. policy makers;
. Formulating policy recommendations, crafting regulations and legislation;
. Develop and direct ongoing new policy and campaign initiatives
focusing on U.S. policy and policy makers;
. Provide written strategic policy analysis;
. Convening, coordinating, and building networks of allies in support of
Health GAP priority campaigns;
. Regularly attending in-person meetings in Washington, DC multiple days
out of the week;
. Grassroots organizing and actions in support of coordinated national
campaign strategies, including national and local actions, in
collaboration with Grassroots Organizer;
. Facilitating direct access to decision makers by grassroots activists
whenever possible;
. Working with Grassroots Organizer, build new activist groups in key
locations;
. Assist in maintenance of Democracy in Action database;
. Materials production as needed;
. Attend biweekly conference calls and working group meetings;
. Submitting monthly workplans and reports;
. Attend weekly staff calls, monthly in-person staff meetings and
quarterly organizational retreats.
Assist with:
. Advocacy related to international agencies such as the Global Fund to
Fight AIDS, TB and Malaria and UN agencies;
. Solidarity efforts with allies in the global South;
. Communications efforts, including action alerts and mobilization efforts;
. Fundraising efforts.

Health GAP is unique in that we are a non-hierarchical organization with
no physical office, a steering committee that meets primarily by
conference call, and each of the staff develop home and travel-based
schedules for their work. However, we are prioritizing a candidate based
primarily in Washington, DC or the immediate surrounding area.
Applicants should be prepared for long and irregular hours, including
some weekends and holidays. Health GAP offers full health insurance,
including dental and basic vision.

Health GAP is committed to the principle of pay equity among staff so
the salary is between $50,000-$53,500 depending on local costs of
living. March 1st, 2009 is the ideal start date.

Please send resume and cover letter to jflynn at healthgap.org immediately.
Candidates will receive an email confirmation that their application was
received. If you do not receive this confirmation, please resend.
Informational phone calls are welcomed and encouraged. Please direct
your questions to Jennifer Flynn, Managing Director at (212) 537-0575 x
3. Position will remain open until filled.

--
Jennifer Flynn
Managing Director
jflynn at healthgap.org
www.healthgap.org
Help support our fight against the global AIDS pandemic
www.healthgap.org/donate.htm