[URBANTH-L]a question concerning methods/ethics

Calliope77 at aol.com Calliope77 at aol.com
Thu Jul 30 01:06:31 EDT 2009

Hi Fethi,

I have never actually had a participant specifically ask to use their real
name. If it did happen, I would likely discourage it. First, I don't think
an  IRB would approve of it. Also, the participant may not be aware of
future  consequences or repercussions of using their real name. They may not be
aware of  who will be able to access the study, where it may appear in future
 publications, etc. While it may depend on the research topic, I likely
would  tell my participant that I am ethically obligated to use pseudonyms.
However, I  have not seen any formal information on this. It is an interesting
question.

Marni Finkelstein

In a message dated 7/29/2009 9:40:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,