[URBANTH-L]a question concerning methods/ethics

Peterson, Mark Allen Dr. petersm2 at muohio.edu
Thu Jul 30 08:24:26 EDT 2009

Because I work with urban professionals in marketing and the media, this actually comes up often. During my dissertation work, several of my journalist friends felt that there was a kind of intellectual dishonesty, perhaps even plagiarism, involved in using their voices without their names. But my IRB said anonymity so I stuck with it.

In subsequent work, I have gone through IRB with a proposal to assume anonymity but to allow specific individuals to sign a letter requesting I use their names. Its a pain in the rear, because the letter states I must make an effort to contact them and let them see any text which includes material from/by them, and then allow them to change their minds or not. Fortunately, few sign. In fact, in my most recent return to Delhi, even the guy who was most adamant about the wrongness of blanket anonymity decided against signing. Out of 120 interviews, only six signed.

Mark Allen Peterson
Acting Chair, Anthropology Department
& Associate Professor, IInternational Studies Program

petersm2 at muohio.edu

164 Upham Hall
Miami University
Oxford OH 45056