[URBANTH-L]a question concerning methods/ethics

Bascom Guffin mbguffin at ucdavis.edu
Wed Jul 29 22:09:43 EDT 2009

I would say that in the case of B (she/he doesn't care), I would still
anonymize the informant. If they specifically ask that their names be
mentioned, it becomes a tougher call. I know of one person who had DJs
as informants, and many of them asked that their real names (at least
their real DJ names) be used, because they saw it as an opportunity
for publicity. In this case, you might consider using their real names
to be a sort of reciprocation for the time and effort they've put in
to helping you out. But this researcher still ended up anonymizing
their sources, because informants made statements that the researcher
determined could be controversial. There may have been other aspects
to the researcher's reasoning as well. If the informants are public
figures, other considerations might also apply, in that there may be
good reason to use their real names, especially if it is overly
difficult to hide their identities. All this is off the top of my
head, and I am sure there are other members of the list who have given
this much deeper thought, and been directly faced with these practical
considerations. I too would be interested to hear what folks have to
say.

		Best,
		Bascom

Bascom Guffin | PhD Candidate