[URBANTH-L] Call for Articles: Migration and Divided Societies - Ethnopolitics

Angela Jancius jancius3022 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 25 12:46:57 EDT 2009

Migration and Divided Societies - Ethnopolitics

Chris Gilligan, University of the West of Scotland; Susan Ball-Petsimeris,
Université de Paris 8

We would like to invite articles on the theme of 'migration and divided
societies' for publication in a forthcoming Special Issue of the journal
Ethnopolitics. The Special Issue aims to critically examine the relationship
between migration and social divisions which are conceptualised as 'ethnic'
in popular discourse, academic writing or government policy.

Papers are welcome that raise questions related to concepts and practices of
migration and segregation along 'ethnic' lines.

Articles should be submitted via email to Chris Gilligan (University of the
West of Scotland, UK) at: chris.gilligan@ uws.ac.uk to arrive by Tues 27th
October 2009.

For a fuller outline of the rationale for the Special Issue and a guide to
the kinds of questions we would like to address and the kinds of topics that
we would consider for publication, see below.

Thanks in advance for your consideration,

Chris Gilligan, University of the West of Scotland, UK
Susan Ball-Petsimeris, Université de Paris 8, France

Migration and divided societies

The aim of the Special Issue is to examine the relationship between
migration and social divisions which are characterised as 'ethnic'.

It is now commonplace to hear that, largely due to migration, most
contemporary societies are characterised by ethnic diversity. In these same
societies, however, there are often significant levels of segregation along
ethnic lines. In political science the term 'divided society' refers to
nations or regions, (such as Northern Ireland, South Africa,
Bosnia-Herzegovina) , which are characterised by deep social cleavages based
on ethnic difference. In this Special Issue, however, we use the term
'divided society' in a looser sense - to refer to any state, region or
locality which is characterised by significant levels of social divisions
which are understood in ethnic terms.

We are particularly interested in articles which examine one or more of the
following topics:

-conceptualising migration and ethnic division
-experiences of immigrants of ethnic division and attempts at integration
migrants and segregation/ integration
-causes of ethnic division
-outward migration and segregation

We are also particularly interested in articles which have a comparative
dimension. These comparisons could be: across different migrant groups;
across different historical periods; between different countries, or;
between different regions or cities within one country.

We provide the following two themes by way of illustration, of the kinds of
topics and questions that might be asked about migration and social
division:

There has been a lot of focus on immigration and segregation. But what about
emigration? Does emigration create, or entrench, social divisions in the
country of emigration? There is some literature on this topic which examines
the case of forced migrations which are generated through 'ethnic' conflict.
This topic could, however, be developed further. Can, for example,
segregation be reversed in post-conflict situations? What works and what
does not work in attempting to reverse segregation? Are there other, less
dramatic ways in which migration creates or entrenches 'ethnic' division?
One area which has not been explored in any detail is the movement of
indigenous populations away ('white flight') from areas where immigrants
come to reside. What role, if any, do government policies play in promoting
'white flight'? To what extent is 'white flight' promoted by ethnic
considerations (rather than, for example, class and upward social mobility)?

Immigrants to 'divided societies' find a society which is already
characterised by a deep social cleavage based on ethnic difference. What
does it mean to 'integrate' in a society which is not itself integrated? How
do immigrants 'fit in' to such a society? Do they 'take sides'? If so, what
guides their choice? Do they attempt to create a 'third space' outside of
the existing social division? If so, what barriers and opportunities do they
encounter in doing so? These themes have been explored most extensively in
relation to Israel. To what extent is the Israeli case unique?

These themes are merely illustrative, they do not indicate that preference
will be given to articles which tackle either of these themes. Our main
criteria for inclusion will be; relevance to the overall theme, quality of
scholarship and originality.

If you know anyone who you think would be interested please pass this
message on to them.

[Urbanth-L is the official listserv of SUNTA, The Society for Urban,
National, and Transnational/Global Anthropology. Visit our website at
www.sunta.org]