[URBANTH-L] AAA 2009 CFP -- Emerging Exclusions and the Processes of 'Minoritization'

Robert T. O'Brien robert.t.obrien at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 18:23:19 EDT 2009

PLEASE FORWARD AS APPROPRIATE

Hey, all.

I realize that we are at a late date, however, the Committee on Minority
Issues in Anthropology (CMIA) has received no proposals for its call for
invited sessions.

I am finishing a dissertation on gentrification in a white working-class
community in Philadelphia. One of the processes that I am examining is the
retrenchment of "whiteness" (I've even got new white residents calling the
older residents "the indigenous"). I think that this is part of a larger
pattern that is consistent with the retrenchment of property ownership
(which underwrote the entrance into whiteness of the working classes in the
years immediately after WWII). In Pem Buck's terms, I think that we are
seeing a realignment of old divisions around privilege and that this
presents us with both new opportunities and problems. If you think you'd be
interested in a panel that examines changing forms of
exclusion/discrimination/racism and the processes of 'minoritization', let
me know as soon as possible.

In order to participate students must have done coursework in ethnographic
methods and (some form of) critical theory.
Paper proposals that addresses broad issues related to race, ethnicity,
sexuality, gender, disability or other processes of marginalization are
strongly encouraged.

Papers may also engage with or broadly articulate any of these following
themes:
- (Dis)ability and exclusion
- New visions of humanity/inhumanity
- Reorientations of multiple axes of oppression
- Violence (structural or otherwise) and new exclusions

More info, including the call for papers is here:
http://aaanet.org/meetings/presenters/index.cfm

The deadline for submitting abstracts and proposals is April 1 at 5PM.
Abstracts must be sent to Robert T. O'Brien <robertob at rci.rutgers.edu> no
later than March 27th to be considered for inclusion.

The CMIA CFP is below

Best,

Rob

Call for Papers for Invited Sessions for AAA 2009 (2 sponsored sessions, or
4 sessions co-sponsored).
The Committee on Minority Issues in Anthropology (CMIA)  would be pleased to
consider session proposals that addresses broad issues related to race,
ethnicity, sexuality, gender, disability or other processes of
"minoritization."

They may also engage with or broadly articulate any of these following
themes:

- Politics of Affirmative Action
- Changing/Emergent Forms of Exclusion/Discrimination/Racism
- Promises and Problems of Cultural Diversity within Universities
- Promises and Problems of Cultural Diversity in the realm of corporations,
government, or public policy
- Emergent Issues Confronting "minority" and disadvantaged populations
- Theoretical/Conceptual Approaches related to "minority issues"

Complete proposals must be sent to the committee and/or co-sponsoring
organization by March 20 to be considered for "invited" status. Session
abstracts for CMIA consideration should be sent to aaiyer at umflint.edu
<mailto:aaiyer at umflint.edu>

Breathe in, Breathe out.
Breathe in, Breathe out.
Forget this and attaining enlightenment will be the least of your worries.

Robert T. O'Brien
Assistant Instructor
Department of Anthropology
Rutgers University