[URBANTH-L] Information on civic beautification panels in China and elsewhere?

joshua neves jwneves at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 14:50:25 EDT 2009

I am working on a research project related to the uses of civic
beautification panels (non-advertising, image-filled
fences/billboards/wraps) that are commonly used to separate, beautify, and
make safe construction sites in Beijing and other urban locales in China,
and am looking for references about this practice (in english or chinese) in
China and elsewhere.
I am also very interested in learning more about the history of this
practice--for instance, the shift from aluminum fencing or plain barriers to
project projections, colorful landscapes, etc.--(and related outdoor media
industries) and its relatively recent global proliferation.  I understand
this form of outside/civic beautification or public announcement has roots
in Europe...any histories or case studies related to these beautification
panels in China or elsewhere (aka: scaffold wraps, graphic landscapes) would
be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to contact me off-list:
jwneves at gmail.com

thank you,