[URBANTH-L] ANN: Health Communications Fellowship (NYC, medical anthropology)

Angela Jancius jancius3022 at comcast.net
Tue May 26 14:12:36 EDT 2009

Health Communications Fellowship

Salary: commensurate with candidate's experience
Education: Bachelor (BA, BS, etc.)
Location: New York, New York, 10018, United States
Posted by: Transcendent International, LLC (http://www.languagemate.com)

Last day to apply: June 21, 2009
Area of Focus: Health and Medicine, Immigration, Race and Ethnicity

language access in the healthcare field. We are seeking a bright, motivated
individual with an interest in social science research administration, as
well as a passion for language and communication issues.

What Does the Fellowship Offer You?
Through our fellowship program, we aim to nurture future leaders,
innovators, and champions of public health. Many of our projects pertain to
language access in the healthcare industry and the improvement of
patient-provider communication, particularly when patients are non-English
speakers and/or have low functional health literacy. Specific elements of
the program include:

* Learning how to peruse the literature in order to compile secondary
research on the language access issue in healthcare
* Identifying solutions and best practices for cross-cultural communication
* Assisting in writing grant proposals: from idea conception to proposal
submission
* Providing support for the implementation of research activities, including
questionnaire design, conducting focus groups, and data collection

Individuals chosen for this fellowship will work on NIH-funded projects, as
well as take an active role in the grant-writing process. Each Fellow will
be paired with a Fellowship Mentor in a chosen domain of interest. Mentors
are experienced researchers in public health, many of whom are graduates of
our fellowship program. Fellows will be guided by mentors through the
grant-writing process while gaining hands-on experience in community-based
participatory research and study design. Additionally, they will have the
unique opportunity to collaborate with the New York University School of
Medicine, a partner in our research consortium. Fellows will also
participate in brainstorming sessions, weekly research meetings, and monthly
journal clubs. At the end of the eight month period, all Fellows will
complete a final project in the form of a journal article for peer-reviewed
publication (subject to timing of submission deadlines and other
constraints). Alternatively, if the fellow is a current student, he or she
may arrange to complete a thesis or capstone project with the support and
guidance of our staff.

Location: Our offices are located in bustling midtown Manhattan, adjacent to
Bryant Park and all subway lines. Most work will take place on-site;
however, Fellows often have the opportunity to conduct field research in
collaboration with partner institutions such as NYU School of Medicine,
Charles B. Wang Community Health Clinic, La Alianza Dominicana and other
community-based organizations.

Duration and Stipend: The Fellowship is structured in four-month increments.
Preference will be given to candidates who can participate in two
consecutive four-month terms and can make a full-time or nearly full-time
commitment (30-40 hours per week) during those eight months. A stipend of
$15 per hour will be provided. Beginning in the second term, full health
benefits will also be provided. The Fellowship can lead to a full-time,
salaried position for the right candidate.

Eligibility: This fellowship offers a unique opportunity for both practical
application of public health methodology and the acquisition of top-level
research skills. It is an ideal career-builder for bright, motivated
individuals who have a strong interest in public health, social services,
social entrepreneurship, linguistics, and cross-cultural communication. As
such, candidates should possess the following:

* A strong interest in and sensitivity to language, cultural issues, and/or
immigrant rights.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Analytical perspective with strong attention to detail.
* Fluency in a second language is highly desirable, but not required.
* Experience or familiarity with innovative uses of software applications,
internet resources, multimedia or other technology-enabled approaches to
health education.
* Experience with qualitative and quantitative research, data collection and
analysis, primary and secondary research.
* Master's candidates or degree holders and beyond, with an emphasis on
public health, public administration, medicine, medical anthropology, and
related fields. Exceptional undergraduates may apply.
* A solid foundation in academic public health research methodology, but
will also possess creative thinking skills and the capacity and desire to
think "outside the box"

Those who do not meet the criteria for our fellowship program should
consider applying for internship opportunities described on our website
www.languagemate.com

How to Apply:
Please email résumé and cover letter together as one attachment to
languagemate at gmail.com. Use last name as attachment title and insert "Health
Communications Fellow" in email subject field. No phone calls, please. Only
qualified applicants will be contacted for interviews.