[URBANTH-L]RE: UNITE HERE Statement

Beeman, William William_Beeman at brown.edu
Fri Oct 29 19:12:59 EDT 2004

Greetings,

Please understand that I am speaking as an individual AAA board member, and not for the board as a whole.

I appreciate the letter from UNITE--especially its cooperative tone, and recognition of the practical realities faced by the AAA in scheduling its meetings. but the August 30 date for the union contacting the AAA mentioned in the letter is most certainly inaccurate. Moreover the AAA board was not alerted to the issue until the 14-15th of October. The first discussion we had together was October 21. With regard to changing the meeting venue, the AAA staff in Virginia could not have acted without the Board's approval.  I believe Bill Davis, our executive director, will be issuing a formal statement on this.

I believe I am correct in saying that AAA board has every intention of working with the unions to insure that this situation does not arise in the future. The suggestions that force majeure clauses be included in future contracts is absolutely on our agenda, as well as other guarantees that will protect our membership from having to undermine the efforts of the unions to secure a fair and equitable working contract for their members. Moreover, I believe we all understand that working with other scholarly organizations to use our influence with hotel chains for the greater good is in our collective best interest; I for one will actively pursue this.

The board has been riddled with frustration at the conflicting restrictions we were under in making a decision on this matter this year. We realized with a sinking feeling that whatever we chose to do, some group would be dissatisfied. We only hope that the AAA as a whole can come together again to plan for a better set of future policies to prevent the further compromise of our professional goals--both in furthering anthropological knowledge, and behaving collectively as ethical and responsible members of society. Ideally this test of our organization will be an institutional learning experience as so many other tests in our past have been. With the good will of our colleagues, it should strengthen us for the future. With everyone's help, we will come through this and be better for it.

Best regards,

William O. Beeman
Professor, Anthropology; and Theatre, Speech and Dance
Brown University
Providence, RI 02912
Tel: (401) 863-3251
http://www.williambeeman.com
(2004-2005 Visiting Professor, Cultural and Social Anthropology,
Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305)