[URBANTH-L]Bay Area Events Thus Far

Robert T. O'Brien robrien at temple.edu
Fri Oct 29 19:26:23 EDT 2004

SAN FRANCISCO EVENTS:
Aloha Neal,
Greeting from Yuri Wellington, at University of Hawaii-
Manoa.  I am a member of the Council on Anthropology and
Education. I wanted to let you know that, in 100% solidarity
with your unions, our section (over 700 members) voted NOT to
follow AAA to Atlanta.

In fact, we have recently contracted with a small union hotel
in the same Union Square area to hold our section meetings,
and are invitign other AAA sections to join us.

Neal, CAE would very much like to provide the union with a
forum to present their views, and discuss the issues that are
so close to our hearts and central to our work as
anthropologists.
Our meetings will take place from Wednesday, November 17 thru
Sunday, November 21 at the Best Western Canterbury Union
Square.

I may be reached at
email:  ywelling at hawaii.edu
office: 808-956-0712

A hui hou,
Yuri Wellington

Rob,
Michael Blim and I are conspiring to pull off a SAW meeting
in SF, and we could use your help in figuring out who else is
going west for a meeting and where and how to be in touch w/
them; (I am going to AAAUNITE blog site, but much seems in
flux) and in coordinating with union -- Mike has lined up a
space at SFSU for Sat. w/ help of Peter Biella, and we have
Susan George traveling there as our keynoter.  We also need
some cheap housing alternatives if you're in touch w/ folks
who live there.
Sandy [Smith-Nonini]

Some people on our panel (at UNC Chapel Hill, from the
Social Movements Working Group) would like to put a call out
for an Autonomous AAA meeting of workshops/panels/organizing
as anthropologist activists in SF Nov. 17-21 that includes
direct participation in UNITE HERE strike activities...
We have secured a convergence space- the UFCW Union Hall at
16th and Mission in S.F. (right next to BART- easy access
from SF and Oakland airports and downtown SF) that is
available at least all day Friday and all day Saturday.

Vinci Daro
Maribel Casas-Cortes
Ana Araujo

BERKELEY:

Dear Rob,
I'm helping SEAA to plan our conference at Berkeley and labor-
friendly places in S.F.  I also live in downtown S.F. within
walking distance of most of the MEG hotels.  Despite my
studio size apartment, I could try to host some sort of a
homebase for those trying to take part in the picket lines,
or a more directed action on the ground.

-Shannon May

Kerim, hi, I'm a co-organizer of a double-panel -- "Deaf
Studies' critical challenge to social theory" (submitted
through SLA) -- which we are currently pursuing relocating in
the Bay Area.  We were just  offered a spot in one venue in
the town of Berkeley (not the  university though), thank
goodness.  However, if possible, we would like to meet in any
venue where other panels are meeting, thereby increasing the
chance of us having an audience, which, lo, until a  week
ago, we felt confident about.  I have been trying to follow
the  various postings, but I'm not following everything
perfectly.  If you  could give me specific pointers on whom I
should contact in order to  explore any burgeoning mini-
conference, I and my panelmates would  surely appreciate it
greatly.

All the very best,  Frank [Bechter]
cc: Peter Graif (co-organizer)

SAN JOSE EVENTS (SAN JOSE? REALLY? DON'T YOU WANNA JOIN US IN
THE BAY AREA):

Dear Robert: ...Though I haven't heard from all the panel
organizers of Comm for Human Rights invited sessions, my
sense is that there will be no CfHR-sponsored events in
Atlanta.
I'm in the process of polling the panelists on the
Anthropology and Human Rights session that I have organized.
The consensus among them is overwhelmingly not to meet in
Atlanta....The rationale of this session is to gather
together some of the people who have been leaders of the CfHR
over its 10 years of existence, to look back and draw lessons
of use for the future, as well as ponder new directions for
the Committee. You will understand, then, that I feel the
significance and usefulness of holding this session would be
greatly diminished if no more than 8 or 9 of the original
panelists can make it to San Jose.
I'm also pondering whether to encourage all the panel
organizers of CfHR Invited Sessions to do the same (i.e.,
determine whether they want to meet in San Jose or wish
simply to cancel their sessions).

Samuel

It looks like everyone's gonna be in the Bay Area, Samuel.
There's been almost no discussion of a coordinated effort to
get to San Jose. Any chance of joining forces with some of
these others?

IS THERE ROOM AT THE INN? EVENTS:

Rik Pinxton, an international AAA member, wants to know where
people will be.

Hey Rob,

I am trying to get in touch with the other folks in my panel
to discuss moving the panel to CA during the original dates.
Is there space for "wandering" panels? I'm not even sure
which section we are coming in under as the discussion
crosses a whole spectrum of experience in post-1973 Chile
(and the impact of neoliberal reforms)

Jo [You'll note that I edited your post!] Paluzzi

SECTIONS KNOWN TO BE DELIBERATING:

ALLA
NAPA
SANA

SECTIONS THAT ARE NOT ORGANIZING BUT ARE COORDINATING:

SCA
SLA
SMA
SOLGA

AND (DRUMROLL PLEASE)...
Two spots to watch for Bay Area events:

For the DIY Set:
<http://wiki.oxus.net/aaaunite>

Anyone can edit this page. You just need to create a login
account (click on the top right), and then click the "edit"
tab to edit. For help click "help" on the left. If you've
ever used "wikipedia" this is exactly the same software.

I know that learning new technology isn't easy, but this is
the easiest way I can think of to handle this incredible task
without my having to do lots of work. If you feel comfortable
using the wiki perhaps you could take over collecting
information and posting it to the wiki?

For more ugly posts like this one
<http://aaaunite.blogspot.com>

We will be posting a schedule of anthropology and labor events
happening in the Bay Area during the week of 11/17/04. These
will be updated as new ones come in.

AAA sub-section announcements regarding whether or not they
will be meeting in Atlanta or in the Bay area are alsi listed
here.
<http://aaaunite.blogspot.com/2004/10/sub-section-mini-
meetings.html>.
Robert T. O'Brien