[URBANTH-L] Postgrad Research Scholarships with Interdisciplinary Urban Studies Focus (London)

Angela Jancius acjancius at ysu.edu
Tue Apr 26 12:59:43 EDT 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Phil A Cohen [mailto:P.A.Cohen at uel.ac.uk]
Sent: 26 April 2005 12:25
Subject: UEL Research Studentships programme

Dear Colleagues

I  enclose details about these new research studentships. I am writing
to you because the intention is that one or two of these  will be attached
the London East Research Institute. These particular studentships will have
a focus on Urban Studies, and on regeneration issues related to the Thames
Gateway plan for sustainable communities. LERI is the unversity's only
Research Institute and as such offers an interdisciplinary  framework
for study, across a whole range of policy  areas. These include  Housing,
Transport, Health, Tourism and heritage, the cultural and knowledge
economies, environmental planning , community  arts, urban planning and
policy analysis, design for a multicultural city.

Ph.D students will have an opportunity to participate fully  in the
intellectual life of the Institute, including its public events and
seminar programmes; they will be able to attend courses in our new
MA in Urban Innovation,  contribute to our on line journal Rising East
and, if appropriate  to their studies , engage with our funded  research
and community outreach programmes.

You can find out more about our programmes  and activities  by going to
our website www.uel.ac.uk/londoneast and also be checking out our
online jounral : www.risingeast.org

I would be very grateful if you could draw the attention of suitable
candidates to  this new opportunity.

Many thanks,
Phil Cohen
London East Research  Institute
4-6 University Way
London E 16 2 RD
 tel 0208 223 2544
--------------------------------------

Attached Research Assistantship Description:

Postgraduate Research Scholarships
UEL is a vibrant scholarly community and one of the UK's top ten modern
universities for research. It is offering 30 full-time Postgraduate
Scholarships to well-qualified and committed students wishing to study for a
PhD within any area of expertise relevant to UEL's 8 Schools. Fields of
particular interest are listed below.

Architecture & the Visual Arts: Sustainability; Creative Industries; Fashion
History & Theory; Digital Media; Fine Art & Cultural Production; Film
History.

Business: Critical Management; Organisation Studies; Marketing;
Entrepreneurship.
Computing and Technology: Computing; Engineering; Technology;
Geo-Information.
Education: Early Childhood Studies; Education.

Health & Biosciences: Diabetes; Neuroscience & Rehabilitation;
Cardiovascular Health; Complementary Medicine; Family Health; Childhood
Obesity; Public Health; Molecular Ecology.

Law: Law; Criminology.

Psychology: Cognitive Psychology; Neuropsychology; Health Psychology;
Infancy & Developmental Psychology; Critical Psychology; Applied Psychology;
Virtual Environments.

Social Sciences, Media & Cultural Studies: Urban Studies, Communications and
media; Film; Journalism; Consumer Studies; Sociology; Anthropology; Social
Work; Politics; Development and Refugee Studies; Gender; Sexualities;
Ethnicity; Sound & Music Cultures; History; English Literature; Cultural
Studies; Postcolonial Studies; Non-Western and Diasporic Cultures;
Narratives; Autobiography.

What does the Scholarship provide?
UEL's internally-funded Scholarships are provided on terms broadly
comparable to those offered by UK Research Councils. Successful applicants
will be expected to study on a full time basis and complete their PhDs
within 3 Years. For those 3 years, subject to satisfactory progress, UEL
will provide a tax-free maintenance grant of £12,000 p.a. and will waive
tuition fees.

Who is eligible to apply?
Applicants will normally be expected to hold, or to obtain by August 2005, a
good Honours degree or Masters degree in a subject relevant to their
proposed research topic. Applications are welcomed from students of any
nationality. UEL is committed to equal opportunities and diversity.
Opportunities to undertake limited academic support roles on a voluntary and
paid basis may be available in some cases, in which event full training will
be provided.

How should I apply?
In the first instance please send a brief covering letter with full contact
details, an outline of your research interests and a CV that includes
details of your academic qualifications. Neither the covering letter,
statement of research interest nor the CV should exceed 1 side of A4.
At a later stage you may be required to provide further information and
attend an interview.

Please send your statement of research interest and brief CV to:

The Graduate School
University House
Romford Road
Stratford
E15 4LZ
Tel: 020 8223 2976
Fax: 020 8223 2826
Email: gradschool at uel.ac.uk

Closing Date: 6th May 2005

Reference No: SS0405 should be quoted at the top of all correspondence
Where can I find further details about UEL?

You should consult the UEL website at: www.uel.ac.uk or contact the Graduate
School at the address above.