[URBANTH-L]Applied JOBS: Coordinator post with the Zapatista Nework, Rebuilding New Orleans (research analyst/policy)

Angela Jancius acjancius at ysu.edu
Tue Nov 15 15:49:25 EST 2005

The following two positions may interest people working in
the area of a applied/policy-related urban and transnational
anthropology.  - AJ

Job Opening, National Program Coordinator - Mexico
Solidarity Network

The Mexico Solidarity Network is seeking a full time
staff person for a position that includes both
teaching, as part of a study abroad program in Mexico,
and organizing in the United States around issues
confronted by undocumented workers, Zapatista
solidarity and solidarity with the families of femicide
victims in Ciudad Juarez and Chihuahua. Starting salary
is $25,000 with a raise to $30,000 after a six-month
probationary period.

Additional Qualifications:The position will be based in
Mexico between 3 and 8 months per year and in
Washington, DC the rest of the time. Orientation and
training will take place in Chicago, IL.

The position requires:
- At least a Master's degree in political science,
economy, Mexican history, development, social movements
or related field.
- Experience in grassroots organizing in the US context.
- Experience in teaching and/or popular education, with
a grounding in the Marxist critique of capitalism and
social movement theory.
- Experience in and knowledge of Mexico.
- A valid drivers license (either US or Mexican) and
the ability to drive a 15-passenger van.
- English and Spanish fluency, including the ability to
teach in English.

How to Apply:The Mexico Solidarity Network will accept
resumes through December 15. The position will begin
January 15, 2006. The position includes health
insurance and four weeks paid vacation per year. Please
forward your cover letter, resume, and writing sample
to msn at mexicosolidarity.org.
----------------------------------

Policy/Research Analyst:  Rebuilding New Orleans

As one element in the follow-up to the ACORN Community Forum on
Rebuilding New Orleans, we are planning to hire a policy analyst, to be
based in Baton Rouge or New Orleans, who can assist in a variety of
research tasks related to the rebuilding effort.  ACORN is looking to
hire a full time Policy/Research Analyst on a short-term basis to help
investigate, and produce reports and other written materials on a
variety of topics related to rebuilding New Orleans in the wake of
Hurricane Katrina, including: housing, education, insurance, mortgage
debt, jobs and job training, neighborhood safety and more.

Location:  Baton Rouge or New Orleans

Qualifications:   Extensive experience in public policy analysis in
either an academic or advocacy context; strong writing, research and
communication skills; ability to manage multiple projects; commitment to
social and economic justice.

Please send resume and a (brief) sample of policy analysis work to Lisa
Donner at acorncampaign at acorn.org

ACORN is the nation's largest community organization of low- and
moderate-income families, with over 175,000 member families organized
into 800 neighborhood chapters in 90 cities across the country.  Since
1970 ACORN has taken action and won victories on issues of concern to
our members.  Our priorities include: better housing for first time
homebuyers and tenants, living wages for low-wage workers, more
investment in our communities from banks and governments, and better
public schools. We achieve these goals by building community
organizations that have the power to win changes -- through direct
action, negotiation, legislation, and voter participation.

ACORN's website is at http://www.acorn.org http://www.acorn.org