[URBANTH-L]WWW: Picture the Homless, internet resources

Angela Jancius jancius at ohio.edu
Sat Oct 6 18:42:09 EDT 2007

From: Sam J. Miller <sam at picturethehomeless.org>

Dear Friends,

This week, Picture the Homeless takes two big steps forward into the
exciting world of new media. We are unveiling a blog, where homeless
activists will provide policy analysis and "inside views" of the
failures of the system - and we're also proud to finally have clips from
our homeless-made documentary films up on YouTube.

www.picturethehomeless.org/blog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2hAfhKRnIY
"Homeless People Count: Vacant Property in Manhattan"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IkeXZD3Tfn0
"Journey Towards Dignity"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sYaNgz1pwIc
"Kicking Ass All Over This City: Homeless Civil Rights Warriors"

So much of the news coverage concerning homelessness presents city
policy as if it's wonderful and working perfectly; if they bother to
include perspectives critical of the city's position, they rely on
talking-head "experts" who have never experienced homelessness. Our blog
represents a terrific way to let the public know the realities behind
the distortions in *all* the major news outlets.

To start things off with a bang, our blog includes a posting on a secret
new development in the city's "Advantage Program" rental subsidy, which
is completely flying under the radar of the media and which leaves
thousands of homeless singles "out in the cold" when it comes to housing
assistance.

http://www.picturethehomeless.org/blog/node/12

I know some of you blog! It'd be great if you could link to us in your
blogroll, and maybe even do a short posting about who we are and why
people should check out ours.

For three years, thanks to training and resources from Manhattan
Neighborhood Network, members of Picture the Homeless have been
developing short documentary films about our organizing campaigns and
the disgraceful policies we're fighting against. Now, for the first
time, we have placed three short clips from those films on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2hAfhKRnIY
"Homeless People Count: Vacant Property in Manhattan"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IkeXZD3Tfn0
"Journey Towards Dignity"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sYaNgz1pwIc
"Kicking Ass All Over This City: Homeless Civil Rights Warriors"

We make pretty damn good films, if we do so say ourselves, and we're
glad to finally be able to share them with everyone.

Thanks for checking out our blog and films! And thanks for sending the
links around to all your own friends and family

Sam J Miller
Picture the Homeless

--

Oh - and another thing. My short article "Homeless Revolution,"
documenting our recent Housing Campaign victories, was just published by

http://www.nhi.org/online/issues/151/organize.html