[URBANTH-L]CFP: Beyond Southern Borders (Southern Anthropological Society)

Angela Jancius jancius3022 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 5 21:10:04 EST 2008

BEYOND SOUTHERN BORDERS
Meeting Dates: 03/12/2008 - 03/14/2008

PLACE: Hilton Wilmington Riverside, 301 North Water Street, Wilmington, NC
28401
Reservations: 910-763-5900

Abstract submission deadline: December 16, 2008

What is, where is, "the South?" We are the Southern Anthropological Society,
but, what does that mean? One possibility is, clearly, an anthropology -- in
its broadest 4-fields meaning -- of the Southern United States. If so, then
where are those boundaries? There is the invisible, yet quite sturdy,
Mason-Dixon Line, the very real Mississippi River and Ohio River, the Gulf
of Mexico, the Atlantic Ocean, and a chain-link fence at the Texas-Mexico
border that is also the Rio Grande. There are multiple versions of "the
South" depending on your worldview. Another possibility is to define
ourselves as Southern Anthropologists. Again, questions of meaning arise.
Does this mean an anthropologist who resides in "the South?" Or , perhaps,
an anthropologist whose research is centered there? And what of the
researcher who was born in "the South," identifies as a Southerner, and
therefore being a Southern Anthropologist, yet lives and works in another
region or even another country? Further still, when we consider American
Indian populations, then the reaches of Southern Anthropology may well lead
to the Caribbean or California. When we also consider immigration and
emigration to and from "the South," we reach on to Mexico, Central and South
America, to the entire world. But, being human and in need of classificatory
systems, we have put parameters on the definition.

In 2009, the Southern Anthropological Society looks toward the future of the
possible terrains encompassed with the borders of "Southern Anthropology."
Papers, panels, and posters are invited that explore any and all aspects of
the South, Southern Boundaries -- both actual and imagined -- Southern
Culture, and who comments on and investigates the pieces of this puzzle.
Some possible topics for consideration include but are not limited to: south
of the borders borders of the south contemporary "southerners" regional
differences in migration to and from the south southern culture in
"un-southern places" tourism and the south finding the "exotic" in southern
climes linguistic differences in the "southern drawl" Appalachia and the
south from key to shining key the gold coast -- Miami to West Palm Florida
as south, Florida as Caribbean, Florida as New York Africa influences the
contemporary south Southeastern Indian nations outside of the South.

For further information: http://www.southernanthro.org/meeting-submit.htm

Contact Information:
Christina Beard-Moose
Suffolk Community College