[URBANTH-L]anthropological responses to current financial meltdown

bburke at email.arizona.edu bburke at email.arizona.edu
Fri Oct 24 16:42:51 EDT 2008

There have been some great reading recommendations from the list. Thanks for
those.

I think that one of the ways anthropologists may be able to contribute to
conversations about the crisis is by thinking about how this change in the
global economic landscape might affect individuals, households, and
communities
around the world. To date, talk about the crisis has focused largely on the
macro-economy and individuals within the US, and the macro-economies of other
global financial centers. But can we begin to anticipate how these changes
might "trickle down" to affect many of the people and places we study? Can we
use these projections to imagine possible responses (whether local coping
strategies, supportive government policies, or something else)?

I certainly can't at this point, though I think we might get some
insights from
other recent economic collapses (the East Asian Crisis, the Brazilian and
Argetine crises, the recent food crisis). I would love to hear others'
thoughts
on this based on their areas of expertise.

--brian

---------------------------------------
Brian J Burke
University of Arizona
Department of Anthropology
   & Bureau of Applied Research in Anthropology

International Honors Program & School for International Training
   "Rethinking Globalization: Nature, Culture, and Justice"

----- Message from suhyatt at iupui.edu ---------    Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008
16:50:25 -0400    From: "Hyatt, Susan" <suhyatt at iupui.edu>Reply-To: "Hyatt,
Susan" <suhyatt at iupui.edu> Subject: RE: [URBANTH-L]anthropological
current financial meltdown      To: "urbanth-l at lists.ysu.edu"