[URBANTH-L]Software for analyzing qualitative responses

Sean Bruna sbruna at unm.edu
Tue Aug 4 21:25:41 EDT 2009

I would recommend nVivo for Mac (using bootcamp) and PC, though it is
rather expensive.  I also used Journler for field notes but worry how
long they will be around.

Cheers,

Sean Bruna

ps - Here is a list of other programs:

Fieldnotes: 1.0

These programs were made specifically to help organize and analyze
qualitative data. The programs provide basic file management and
coding options.
             QSR nVivo 8

Atlas ti: .

Anthropac

Ethnograph – new and untested. Mixed reviews.

Filemaker Pro: - not designed for qualitative research; lacks analysis
tools.

askSam -

TAMS Analyzer for Macintosh OS

Fieldnotes: 2.0 Programs

  These are general note taking programs that are not designed for
qualitative research but have grown in popularity among consumers.
None have been tested sufficiently for research and are thus not
suggested for long-term use of data and storage.
  Mac:
Voodoo Pad – vast limitations, but good for web publishing. lacks
analysis tools.
AquaMind NoteTaker – lacks analysis tools.

Circus Ponies NoteBook - lacks analysis tools.

PersonalWiki —another, less refined, Wiki option. lacks analysis tools.

Evernote – a great tool, bit not a solution. lacks analysis tools.

Journler – as reviewed above, very useful and basic, but going out of
business.

Transcriptions 0.8 - No integration with other software (transcription
only)

Microsoft Word – lacks analysis to

PC:

WhizFolders- lacks analysis tools.

Scribe— lacks analysis tools.

Sean P. Bruna
PhD. Candidate, Department of Anthropology
Doctoral Fellow, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Center for Health Policy
University of New Mexico, Albuquerque
healthpolicy.unm.edu
www.unm.edu/~sbruna