[URBANTH-L]Writings on postsecular cities

Richard Baxstrom baxstrom at gmail.com
Sun Jan 11 18:47:57 EST 2009

Dear Justin and all interested in the topic of postsecular cities:

My apologies for the bit of self-promotion, but I have recently published on
book on this very topic. The citation is:

Baxstrom, Richard (2008). *Houses in Motion: The Experience of Place and the
Problem of Belief in Urban Malaysia*. Stanford: Stanford University Press.

For a fuller explanation of the book, please see the following link:

http://www.sup.org/book.cgi?id=12146

So perhaps a little bit of engagement over this issue is starting to happen.
Hope it helps.

Best,
Richard Baxstrom
Social Anthropology, University of Edinburgh

**** Apologies if you receive this enquiry more than once ****

I would be very grateful if people could reflect upon, provide insights and
recommend literature to help me along with my research.

The focus is postsecular cities (or more accurately postsecular urban spaces
given the exchange on the Comurb mailbase a few months ago) at the
theoretical and empirical intersection between (1) political economy of
neoliberal urbanism and (2) state-civil society relations and faith-based
political and ethical praxis in cities.

There is currently little or no systematic engagement with this emergent
topic in the geographical literature, despite a postsecular turn in
sociology via the work of critical theorists such as Habermas, liberal
communitarians like Taylor and critical commentators such as McLennan, among
others.

While a limited number of contributions to the literature recently  (e.g.
TESG; Urban Studies) reflect a tide of change within urban scholarship a
great deal more needs to be done to capture, sharpen and deepen the
conceptual and analytical implications of these inquiries for urban theory
in general and postsecular urbanism (theory, empirics, politics) in
particular.

Your insights, reflections and literature suggestions would be warmly
received.

Justin Beaumont

Department of Planning, Faculty of Spatial Sciences, University of
Groningen, PO Box 800, 9700 AV Groningen, THE NETHERLANDS

Tel: 0031 (0)50 363 6910/ 3895

Fax: 0031 (0)50 363 3901

Skype: justin9712

Facebook: "Justin Beaumont"