[URBANTH-L] FWD: Anthropology News "Repatriation" CFP Deadline extended to Nov 16

Jayne Howell jhowell at csulb.edu
Fri Oct 16 17:55:49 EDT 2009

Forwarded message from Dinah Winnick at Anthropology News:

Thanks to the tremendous response that Anthropology News received to
our anthropology of water CFP, we are featuring the water theme in
both our January and February 2010 issues. This means that the
repatriation theme will now appear in our March 2010 issue, with the
deadline for article proposals extended to November 16, 2009. The CFP
is included below, and can also be accessed online at www.aaanet.org/
issues/anthronews/CFP-Repatriation.cfm.  We would love to feature
content from as diverse a range of anthropological perspectives as
possible.

Best,

Dinah

Anthropology News Addresses Repatriation: Submit Your 300-Word
Article Proposal by Nov 16

In recognition of the 20th anniversary of the Native American Graves
Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA), Anthropology News seeks
contributions for a thematic issue on repatriation, broadly
conceived. Since its passage in 1990, NAGPRA has prompted significant
and compelling conversations on issues such as intellectual property
rights, identity politics, human rights and professional ethics.
Beyond NAGPRA, researchers, educators and practitioners in all areas
of anthropology engage with questions involving repatriation on a
daily basis, whether tracking the lineage of a museum artifact,
informing policy on cultural heritage, or facilitating the return of
refugees following a conflict.

We welcome proposals for In Focus commentaries, Teaching Strategies,
Field Notes articles, photo essays, news stories and interviews that
address the repatriation of people, objects and intangible heritage
from a wide range of angles including (but not limited to):

Visual heritage and intellectual property in a digital age
Illegal artifact excavation and trafficking
Interpreting genetic/cultural affiliation and patrimony
The consultation process and new collaborations
Tribal heritage programs and tribal sovereignty
Displacement/endangerment of people and artifacts through conflict
Refugee resettlement and diasporic cultural communities
Return of economic migrants
Memory, identity and temporality
Global discontinuities in repatriation policy
Practices related to NAGPRA compliance
Human rights and social justice

Guidelines
To participate, email a 300-word abstract and 50-100-word biosketch
to Anthropology News editor Dinah Winnick (dwinnick at aaanet.org).
Proposals for photo essays should also include five high resolution
photographs (tiff or jpg), each with a caption and credit. Selected
authors will be asked to submit commentaries of 1000-1200 words or
shorter pieces for other article types.

New proposal submission deadline: November 16, 2009
Early submissions are encouraged.

Dinah Winnick
Associate Managing Editor, Anthropology News
American Anthropological Association
dwinnick at aaanet.org
Visit the new AAA blog: http://blog.aaanet.org