[URBANTH-L]ANN: Metropolis and Common Life NYC

Angela Jancius jancius3022 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 11 12:07:18 EDT 2009

Metropolis and Common Life NYC 9/17

The Metropolis and Common Life
Michael HARDT and Neil SMITH in dialogue on the themes of "Commonwealth,"
Hardt and Negri's newest book.

THURSDAY, September 17th
7PM (doors at 6PM)

ABRONS ARTS CENTER
Henry Street Settlement
466 Grand Street (at Pitt Street)
New York, NY 10002

Free and open to all

There will be a signing afterwards and "Commonwealth" will be available for
purchase (before its official publication date).

For more information, see: thisisforever.org/commonwealth
or (f) 212 777 6026 and (e) malav[at]bluestockings[dot]com

Sponsored by THIS IS FOREVER event and discussion series in celebration of
BLUESTOCKINGS 10th anniversary.  More events to come!

DESCRIPTION
On Thursday, September 17th (7PM), at Abrons Art Center in the Lower East
Side, Michael Hardt will be speaking on the publication of "Commonwealth,"
his latest book co-authored with Antonio Negri.  When Empire appeared in
2000, it defined the political and economic challenges of the era of
globalization and, thrillingly, found in them possibilities for new and more
democratic forms of social organization. Now, with Commonwealth, Michael
Hardt and Antonio Negri conclude the trilogy begun with Empire and continued
in Multitude, proposing an ethics of freedom for living in our common world
and articulating a possible constitution for our common wealth.
Drawing on scenarios from around the globe and elucidating the themes that
unite them, Hardt and Negri focus on the logic of institutions and the
models of governance adequate to our understanding of a global commonwealth.
They argue for the idea of the "common" to replace the opposition of private
and public and the politics predicated on that opposition. Ultimately, they
articulate the theoretical bases for what they call "governing the
revolution."

Michael Hardt will be in dialogue with Neil Smith, renowned critical
geographer, about the social relations of the metropolis as they function as
the site for the production of common life, the site of hierarchy and
exploitation, and the site of antagonism and revolt.